Monday, September 20, 2010

Hair How-To.

This Friday night when I was heading out for dinner/drinks with my girlfriends, I couldn't figure out what to do with my hair. I recently cut bangs for myself, and while I quite enjoy them , they freak out in the humidity and it seemed like it was going to rain that night. So I ended up putting my hair up in this braided hairstyle that I've done a few times that was inspired by these pictures from glamour.com/beauty:
11114-nicole-richie-hair-side_bd.jpg                     0618-lauren-conrad_bd.jpg
I promise it's really easy and looks great with any hair type/texture, and it's so flattering and girly and cute! My BF always compliments my hair when I wear it this way...and you know for a guy to actually comment on a hairstyle is a big deal. Here is my how-to:

1. The first step is to start with a little texture in your hair. It doesn't really matter if your hair is totally dry or slightly damp, but either way add a little texturizing product (I just used some flexible-hold Aussie hairspray, the shine+hold one) to your hair before you start braiding. Flip your head over, spray it in and massage/scrunch your hair and flip over.

2. Next, divide your hair in half from forehead to neck, as if you were going to do pigtails, and secure one side with an elastic. you don't have to do it right down the middle; I think I look better with a slight side part, so I divided it that way. I think it looks better when it's a pretty messy part, so don't overthink it!

3. Start french-braiding the side you didn't secure. Err on the side of braiding a little more tightly - you can loosen it up later, and it will loosen on its own as you wear it. If you've never french-braided, here's a tutorial:

4. Braid it all the way down to the end and secure with an elastic. Next, braid the other side of your hair.

5. Once you've braided down to the ends, take the elastic out of the first braid and gather your hair together to form a bun. you can un-do some of the braid so it's easier to get into a bun.

6. Secure the bun with an elastic and then with bobby pins if needed/desired. Finally, spray with strong-hold hairspray - I like John Frieda Moisture Barrier.

7. Ta-da!







Try it out and let me know how it goes! The biggest thing with this hairstyle is not to worry about it - it can be as messy/neat/whatever as you like! 


2 comments: