Saturday, April 16, 2011

Spring Things

Being a "bride" is a funny thing. It kind of takes over your life. As my adorable and slightly snarky fiance would say, "Planning a wedding is like launching a small business." And it's true. There are so many details, so many roadblocks in the process....don't get me started on my issues with the bridesmaid dress industry....I've started kind of fantasizing about being a normal person again. As much as I love weddings, and as much fun as this whole process is, it's so all-encompassing that I need to actively decide put all the invitation suites and fabric samples aside and take a breath or two while engaging in non-wedding activities. One of these activities is...blogging! About non-wedding things! So here we go, some of my latest fave things:

Anthropologie Femme Trench Jacket


This adorable jacket was my last hurrah with my mom's employee discount (she worked part-time for Anthropologie until recently). It is so cute, fits so well, and has been helping me put up with the teasing spring weather in NYC (80 degrees one day and 40 the next?? Really??). It has a mix of girly romance and military polish that I really love, and the shiny buttons and gleaming gold hardware just make me happy.

Lyon NYC


Neil and I went here for our 5 year anniversary back in March and I was blown away. The location of this restaurant is super convenient for us as it's right on the border of Chelsea and the West Village, and it has to be the most charming restaurant I've visited in a long time. It's this perfect mix of Southern hospitality and French fanciness...you just can't be unhappy when you're here, with the warm lighting and the waitstaff all dressed in gingham shirts. Neil and I had rose champagne, a warm cheese spread to put on crostini, a frisee and poached egg salad with warm bacon vinaigrette, and a side dish of Jerusalem artichokes sauteed with mushrooms. And for dessert, some kind of crazy bread pudding that was pretty awesome. Lyon is a great spot...I'm dying to go back!

Charleston



So I was recently reading Rachael Ray's magazine (don't judge, I like magazines about cooking) and there was this amazing article about the "new Charleston" and all of its foodie goodness. I am dying to go. I've been once before but was only passing through on my way to a wedding, and I really want a full long weekend to explore all of these new restaurants, eat oysters by the water, and visit the Firefly Distillery (Arnold Palmers with sweet tea vodka?? Yes). Neil and I have always had a soft spot for all things Southern, so a trip to Charleston would be special in many ways. I'm thinking that it'll be one of our first trips as a married couple, either in the fall or the spring. If you have any suggestions for places to eat or things to see in the area, let me know...

Espadrilles

Espadrilles are fabulous. Is there any more delightfully springy, retro-European-y shoe? Nope. They're great because they're classic and trendy and girly and cool. I've always loved these playful, cushion-y wedges, and I think I may start a collection. Here are my most recent acquisitions:

These guys are from Old Navy, and I got them for only 3 bucks because I had store credit from a bathing suit I was returning. I love these because my other two pairs are all colorful and ribbon-y, and these are the opposite: sleek and simple and a very modern take on the classic espadrille. They have a decent wedge at 3", but considering that every other shoe seems to be at least 5" tall these days, I'll take them. These are another pair I almost purchased:

These are adorbs and really comfortable...the kind of shoe that you could put on with a pair of random baggy shorts and a white tank and still look summery-fabulous. I held back because I was worried that maybe I wouldn't wear them very often, but considering how cushy and walkable they are, I would probably get decent use out of them. Damn, Old Navy. When you get it right, you get it right....and I can't resist your delightfully cheap prices.

Windowsill Herb Box





Alert: I need to find a way to grow an herb garden in my and Neil's tiny apartment. I worry that if I grow them inside they won't get enough sunlight, and if I grow them outside the NYC summer heat and humidity might destroy them. If anyone can get all Real Simple on me and tell me how I can grow basil, rosemary, mint etc. successfully, let me know!

Maxi Dresses


I bought into the maxi trend about five years ago when I bought an ankle-length white skirt (which I promptly got rid of after the season), but lo and behold, the trend is way back. I worry about very long items on my frame because I'm afraid that I'll just look like a "wall" of tweed coat or of floral-patterned dress, but I think this is something I need to get over. Since the trend technically came back last summer, there are a multitude of options to pick from this year. I'm thinking that I want one that's kind of playful, printed and bohemian-y, such as this one from Forever21:



I like this print because it's springy and playful but isn't insanely hippie-tastic. If I actually had money to spend (which I don't), I would go for this lovely dress by Banana Republic:


This dress captures the essence of the maxi dress: summery, easy and pretty. On the other end of the spectrum, a neutral maxi can look really chic, like these from Old Navy:





Both of these dresses are inexpensive and really versatile. You could wear them over a bathing suit but also dress them up with bright gold or colorful jewelry for a casual night out. And finally, there's this baby, which is the ultimate in gorgeousness:
Evelyn dotted long dress

Sorry for the poor picture quality, but this silk Alicia maxi dress from J.Crew is the ultimate in full-length casual glamour. If only I had a spare 800 bucks lying around...this would be mine. Go check it out on the site from all angles...it is amazing.

Emma's Ale House




I'm finally going to this awesome Westchester restaurant with Neil and friends tonight...I can't wait! I've only been here once before but of course I'm partial to it because of the name...and seriously, check out their menu! Chicken pot pie, fish and chips, sliders....it's going to be amazing. Comfort food is always fabulous.

So this concludes my spring obsessions post. Next up, spring beauty faves...

1 comment:

  1. Tara T, you're awesomely you!!! Keep writing.
    love, Nmom

    ReplyDelete